Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tip #6: Multiple Formats Are The Way To Go


One thing I have learned while flipping the last two years is to create multiple formats of the same tutorial. As mentioned in a previous post, I have been using Screencast-o-matic and Showme this year. When I finish the tutorials, I upload them to Edmodo in the original Java version but I also create a YouTube version. This allows students who get ahead to watch them in class if they need to but also to watch them at home or elsewhere using their mobile devices. Many mobile devices do not play Java files or Flash files, but they connect to the internet. We live in a rural area where some students might not have internet access available at their home or may not be able to afford it, but the vast majority have mobile devices with 4G capabilities. My students have said they appreciate the YouTube version (even though it is blocked at our school). One student said, “Thanks for the YouTube version, I can be in my bed with my Kindle and watch a tutorial.”  When I create the YouTube versions, I always mark them as unlisted and then just post the link in Edmodo. Screencast-o-matic will allow you to upload your screencast in other formats as well. I use the RealPlayer download to share my Showmes on YouTube.  If you want to take this one step further, you can use www.savetube.com to easily convert your YouTube videos to .mp4 files.  This would give you three different file types and would allow you to meet the needs of the most students. Finally, for students who have little to no tech at home, you can put your tutorials on DVD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment