Friday, August 17, 2012

Tip #4: Keep it Short

A tip to live by…I know this sounds like common sense, but it is easier said than done. Last year, when I flipped my Pre-AP Biology courses most of my videos were 15-20 minutes long, some longer. I thought this was the perfect time frame, especially since that was much less time than lecture would have taken in most cases. Through discussions with students, I found out that this was too long. They brought up the fact that if they watch the presentation, pause the video, and try to take notes it takes quite a bit longer than 15-20 minutes. This also does not count the time that they use to re-watch a video. I assume that many teachers beginning the flip probably make this same mistake because they want to “lecture” and put it on video. This year, for Chemistry, all the videos I have created thus far are between five and seven minutes. Moreover, I only do one topic at a time instead of discussing multiple topics. My Chem students are much more receptive because they do not see this as a large time commitment. Also, they are not inundated with information since I keep the videos focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment