Friday, September 21, 2012

Learning to Change

I am within weeks of completing my Ed.S. in Educational Technology. Can I get a Woot Woot! As a part of a recent assignment, we were asked to view the video Learning to Change. If anyone out there thinks that education is not undergoing a grand transformation, all they need to do is watch this clip. My favorite line from the video is “It is the death of education but the dawn of learning.” I think this is a poignant statement. Our ideas of the industrial version of education where we create little learners through an assembly line process must change. This goes from Pre-K to post-secondary institutions. The most difficult aspect of flipped learning has nothing to do with technology but rather how to get students away from “education” and into the realm of “learning.” Some might argue that these are synonymous, but I disagree as will you when you watch the video. I had a student tell me recently that they were not learning in a flipped classroom, they needed worksheets to learn. I think this is so sad. This student is a Senior and has been programmed for 13 years. My job, in 18 weeks, is to give him a reboot. One of my favorite compliments from my students is when they groan and moan and say, “Why are you making us think?” My reply is always, “I know… they should fire me for such atrocities against students!” J


No comments:

Post a Comment